Home > ASWU >
How to get money from ASWU
- There is an unallocated account with a significant amount of
money in it to be spent each semester by the general student body.
- Money from this account is accessed through the requisition
- The requisition process is as follows:
- Contact the financial vice president to discuss the proposed
spending. He or she will be able to give you advice and determine
if the expenditure will fit within the guidelines of the financial
standard operation procedures of the ASWU.
- Fill out a requisition
form (PDF) and submit it to the FVP who will arrange a
time for you to present in front of the Finance Committee.
- The Finance Committee will discuss the requisition and take
action as necessary on the proposal.
- If your request is approved, the FVP will discuss with you the
options for disbursement
of the monies.
- Comprises eight people, four students from the ASWU assembly
and four students at large.
- The Finance Committee meets once a week to discuss requisitions
that have been submitted. The person who submitted the requisition
is invited to come and present the idea to the committee and then
be questioned by the committee to bring up any potential problem
areas with the requisition.
- The committee then discusses and decides the action to be taken
based upon the questions they have asked and the general criteria
for funding as outlined in the financial
standard operating procedures.
- If the requisition is under $300 the Finance Committee may have
the final say on the issue. If the requisition is over $300, the
Finance Committee will make a recommendation and it will be passed
on to the assembly to discuss with their constituents. The assembly
will then vote on the issue when their constituents have been
- Following the ASWU general election, the newly elected Financial
Vice President shall form and chair a budget committee comprising
of the new and old executives, the Director of Student Activities,
the ASWU Bookkeeper, four (4) members of the Assembly and four
(4) members of the student body at large.
- There shall be a mandatory budgeting pre-meeting the week before
the budget committee meets. For each group requesting funds from
ASWU, the new and old president, coordinator, or representative
must be present. If attendance is not possible, arrangements must
be made with the newly elected FVP for an alternate meeting time.
The newly elected FVP shall provide account balances to each group
and explain the budgeting process.
- The newly elected Financial Vice President shall notify the
college community of the procedure for requesting funds through
the budgeting process within two weeks of the ASWU general election.
Specifically, s/he shall notify each group that was budgeted for
the previous year, and all chartered organizations, that they
need to submit a Budget Request Form in order to be considered
for funding. S/he shall provide assistance to any group that needs
help in submitting a budget.
- The new and old financial vice presidents must provide a copy
of the financial standard operating procedures to the budget committee
before the first meeting date. A copy of the previous year's budget
must also be provided for committee members before the first meeting.
- The budget committee, based on a recommendation by the college
Vice President for Business Affairs, shall determine the ASWU
projected revenue for the following fiscal year.
- The budget committee shall hold hearings to question each of
the chartered organizations and general program areas as to their
particular budget. The budget committee shall then determine the
legitimate budget request and make any adjustments to this amount
as deemed necessary from the criteria set by the previous budget.
- For each group requesting funds, the new and old president,
coordinator, or representative shall present together.