Archives

Whitworth Archive Image
Image
Image
The Beginnings of Whitworth Drama Clubs
Designed by Michael Oaks, Class of 2012
The Beginnings of Whitworth Drama Clubs
The first dramatic club on the Tacoma campus appeared in the 1900s, as the first mention of a drama club detailed initiations into the club featured in the 1905 Whitworthian. This early club seemed to be composed of all women and had a good run, but was disbanded a few years later, although plays were still being put on, mostly by student classes. After the Whitworthian commented, “Why not a Whitworth dramatic club?” in the November 14, 1928 edition, a group of 25 students got together to form the Dramatic Club on January 15, 1929 (pictured above). The main purpose of the club, according to the 1929 Natsihi ,was “to foster a more lively interest in dramatics and give opportunity for individual development in the field.”

Please use the graphical menu below to navigate through the exhibit.

Image
Image
Image Previous Image Return to the Index Page Next Image Images

Back to Archives >> Online Exhibits >>