Home > Residence Life & Housing > Current Students >
Checking In and Checking Out of Your RoomChecking In: Please go to Opening
and Closing Dates to find more information about checking in to your
Checking Out: To check out of your room during the semester,
please make an appointment with your RA to complete your room inventory.
At the end of the semester, each resident is also required to complete
a checkout with the RA. Failure to follow this process will result in
a $50 improper-checkout fine plus cleaning costs and loss of your $70
housing deposit. Checking out of your room will usually take about 30
minutes. Please plan accordingly.
- Room-and-board refunds will be credited to your student account when
your room checkout paperwork has been processed. The refund schedule
is listed on your housing
- You must leave the hall no later than 24 hours after your
last final, unless you get permission from your RD. If you do not receive
permission, you will be asked to leave immediately.
- It is vital that your room has been cleaned and all of your belongings
are out before the RA comes to complete a checkout. Failure to clean your room
or to remove your belongs will delay your checkout and/or result in a fine.
You will only be allowed to check out if your room is clean, your belongings
are removed, you've signed the Room Inventory Form, and you've returned your
- A room is not clean unless all of the following are completed:
- All floors must be swept or vacuumed.
- Windowsills and all furniture must be cleaned (both outside
- All drawers must be empty.
- All non-university-provided items (pictures, tacks, sticky-tack,
etc.) must be removed from the walls, and all stains must be cleaned. Do not attempt to fill holes in your wall.
- All beds must un-bunked and the mattresses placed at their lowest
possible setting. A $10 charge will be assessed for beds that are
- You are also responsible for the hallway outside your room; don't
forget to vacuum the hall around your door and clean dry-erase marks
from the wall.
- Old carpet and furniture must be properly disposed of off
campus and is not the university's responsibility. A $50 charge will
be issued to those responsible for garbage that is improperly disposed of.
- Dispose of all trash in the dumpsters outside your hall. Do
not put it in the hallway; leaving trash and/or furniture in the
hallways is a fire hazard.
- Cement blocks may be left on the wooden pallets next to dumpsters.
- You must turn in your room key when you check out. If the proper
key is not turned in at the time of checkout, a $50 charge will be
added to your student account for a replacement key and service
- Residents of Boppell Hall must also complete the following:
- Kitchen cupboards and sink must be cleaned out and washed.
- The entire bathroom (showers, toilets, sinks, floors, walls,
etc.) must be clean .
- Refrigerators must be defrosted and cleaned out.
- You must sign up with your RA at least 12 hours in advance for a checkout
time and plan on the process to take about 30 minutes. If you are more
than 10 minutes late to your checkout time, you may be issued a fine.
Do not go to the RA's room when it's time to do your checkout; wait in
your room and the RA will come to you. Do not count on an RA to be available
for any time other than the one you have arranged. A $50 improper-checkout
charge plus cleaning costs and the loss of your $70 housing deposit
will be assessed if you leave without going through this process.
- If you plan to place items in storage, label them clearly
with your name, home address, and home telephone number. Storage space
is extremely limited, so pack and plan early. All storage is at your
own risk; Whitworth University takes no responsibility for items left in
- If you believe a mistake has been made on your Room Inventory Form,
speak to your RA. Understand that you are charged for insufficient cleaning,
damaged or missing items in your room, as well as for damages found in common
areas of the residence hall. Keep the original copy of the Room Inventory
Form for your files.
- If you are graduating or planning to live off campus next year, you may request
the refund of your housing deposit by filling out the necessary form
found at the student-life office information desk. Requests are not processed
until your room is assessed for damage by an RA and the Room Inventory
Form has been processed.