Whitworth Home Page > Human Resource Services > Provost & Executive Vice President Search >
Responsibilities & Agenda for Leadership
The Whitworth faculty, staff, and students look forward to supporting the efforts of the next provost/EVP as she or he continues to advance the mission of the university by:
- Embracing Whitworth's historic mission to provide an education of mind and heart, serving as a leader of the university's community of Christian scholars as Whitworth seeks to equip a diverse student body to "honor God, follow Christ and serve humanity."
- Leading wisely in an academic community that embraces – and sees as complementary – virtues that are often perceived to be in conflict, namely intellectual freedom and commitment to Christ, grace and truth, responsibility and freedom.
- Articulating the institution's academic vision and goals and supervising their implementation within in the context of the university's vision and strategic plan.
- Working collaboratively with the academic deans, helping to recruit, support, supervise and encourage strong faculty performance, as well as to support strong academic programs.
- Administering the university's academic division (including traditional undergraduate, continuing studies and graduate programs), encouraging excellent preparation of students as professionals and as responsible citizens of the world.
- Providing leadership that enhances Whitworth's sense of community while fostering just and trusting relationships across all differences, valuing diversity, and encouraging understanding between students, faculty, staff, administration and board members.
- Advocating for the professional growth and development of faculty as they seek to balance the competing demands of teaching, scholarship and service.
- Managing faculty and staff with wisdom, affirmation, encouragement, firmness and flexibility.
- Collaborating across divisional and institutional lines, helping to promote a culture that is communicative and mutually supportive.
- Representing the president as assigned, and performing the duties of the president in his/her absence.